The Best Beef Chilli Recipe Ever (2023)
I made this recipe for a mate’s BBQ one time, and it turned out to really be an outstanding dish. So delicious; spicy, smoky, rich, deeply flavoursome, cheesy, and oozing a thick gravy for dipping tortillas in. In my reckoning one of, if not The Best Beef Chilli Recipe (2023). And actually, it’s so very simple to make.
The best beef chili recipe has been a popular dish enjoyed by many. It’s a hearty and flavorful meal made with ground beef, beans, spices, and other ingredients. There are several variations and recipes available, each with its own unique blend of flavors. Here are a few key points to consider when making the best beef chili to make this recipe your own:
Classic Chili Recipe: The classic chili recipe often includes ingredients such as lean ground beef, red kidney beans, tomato sauce, beef broth, and tomato paste. It is seasoned with spices like chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper for a rich and robust flavor.
Variations and Customization: Chili recipes can be customized to suit individual preferences. Some variations may include additional ingredients like diced tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, corn, or different types of beans. You can adjust the spice level by adding more or less chili powder and cayenne pepper according to your taste.
Cooking Techniques: There are various cooking methods for beef chili, including stovetop cooking, slow cooking in a crockpot or instant pot, or even grilling the meat before adding it to the chili. Slow cooking methods tend to enhance the flavors and result in tender meat.
Toppings and Serving Suggestions: Beef chili is often served with toppings such as shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions, diced jalapeños, or a sprinkle of fresh cilantro. It pairs well with side dishes like cornbread, rice, or tortilla chips.
Online Recipes and Resources: There are numerous recipes available online that offer different variations of the best beef chili. Websites like The Wholesome Dish, Delish.com, and BBC Good Food provide detailed recipes and step-by-step instructions to help you create a delicious beef chili.
Now finished off with the cheese, fired with a Chef burner, or thrown under the grill to brown off – how good does that look…!!!
This will make a big bowl of chilli, easily enough for 4-5. The Best Beef Chilli Recipe will stretch to many. You can add some guacamole, some tortilla dippers, or some Tacos with it too. See our other recipes for those below, later in the blog.
Here we go, are you ready? You will need;
- 10 dried chilis;
- 1xlb of beef mince;
- 2 packets of bacon bits or bacon cubes;
- 2 roughly chopped red onions;
- 2 packets of small sweet yellow peppers and roughly chop these into bite-sized pieces;
- Half a bar of high cocoa content chocolate – I used 99% cocoa content;
- 8 roughly chopped garlic cloves;
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes;
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin;
- 2 tablespoons of smoked paprika (or chili powder);
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice;
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce;
- Cracked black pepper and sea salt; and
- 10 slices of cheddar cheese, or a packet of the grated cheese mixes.
- Dry pan on the heat and fry the dry chilis until they start to blacken and smoke a little. You are basically making them nice and smoky in flavour and that will make such a difference in the final Chilli;
- Once you have done that, pop them in some water and soak them for about 20 minutes;
- When they are nicely soft, pop them in a blender, blitz them to a paste (keep the water – see the red tinge, that is flavour) and set aside.
I then fried the garlic, beef and bacon bits in some oil in a large stock pot. Do that until the meat is cooked through and starting to brown. Make sure you break all the clumps up as you stir, as you don’t want your Chili to be lumpy, you want it to be The Best Beef Chilli Recipe.
- Add in the onion, peppers, tinned tomatoes, lime, cumin, blitzed chilis, Worcestershire Sauce and paprika;
- Stir through and drop the heat to a steady simmer;
- Add in the chocolate and stir through until melted. The chocolate will dramatically change the colour, the thickness, and will add a very unique flavour to the chilli. It is brilliant and should not be omitted;
- Add about half the chilli water you kept from the soaking;
- Get that on a low simmer, and leave slow cooking for about an hour with the occasional stir. If it thickens too much just add a little more of the Chilli water;
- Finally, add in pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper, off the heat and give it a good stir.
I then transferred this mix to my Korean cooking pot for final prep and serving. Also, these Korean cooking pots can go straight on a hob or BBQ. So if you wanted you could make this at home and take it to a mate’s BBQ, by simply warming it up on the BBQ grills. Now there’s an idea!!! Imagine taking The Best Beef Chilli Recipe to a BBQ. Before the cheese, addition is when you can let this go low, slow, and long for as long as possible to have those flavors muddle and intensify.
No cheese on top yet, but we’re getting there soon with that, as per the above steps.
Once in the pot, you then simply lay the cheese slices, or grilled cheese to completely cover the chili. Give it a couple of layers as The Best Beef Chilli Recipe is quite ‘deep. You then want to brown and melt this. So either pop it under the grill, or like I did use my chef’s flame thrower thing. See the header photo of the finished goods – now with nicely browned cheese. Damed good!!!
So my friends there you have it. In my personal reckoning The Best Beef Chilli Recipe. Make sure you follow those steps like the dry pan frying of the dried chili, using the 99% cocoa chocolate and the Chili water from the soaking. Little things like that will make the difference. Give it a go. You’ll enjoy the results and so will family and friends – this is a BELTER – ENJOY!!!
The most frequently asked questions about The Best Beef Chilli:
Question: What are the best spices for beef chili?
Answer: The best spices for beef chili include chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, and onion powder. Adjust the amounts according to your taste preferences.
Question: Can I make beef chili in a slow cooker?
Answer: Yes, beef chili can be made in a slow cooker. Simply brown the beef and sauté the onions and garlic before transferring everything to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Question: What are some toppings for beef chili?
Answer: Popular toppings for beef chili include shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions, diced tomatoes, avocado slices, and crushed tortilla chips.
Question: How can I thicken beef chili?
Answer: To thicken beef chili, you can use techniques such as simmering uncovered to evaporate excess liquid, adding a slurry of cornstarch and water, or mashing some of the beans to create a thicker texture.
Question: Can I freeze beef chili?
Answer: Yes, beef chili can be frozen for later consumption. Allow it to cool completely, then transfer it to airtight containers or freezer bags. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
SIX Mexican Recipes from ISLIFEARECIPE
SEVEN incredible Mexican Restaurant Reviews from ISLIFEARECIPE
What is the orgin of Beef Chilli?
The meal known as “beef chili” was first created in the United States of America, more especially in the state of Texas. It is thought that it was invented by cattle ranchers and cowboys in the late 1800s as a means to make use of tough pieces of beef by slow-cooking them with chili peppers and other spices to create a hearty and tasty stew. This method was considered to have been the origin of the dish. These days, beef chili is a well-liked dish not just in the United States but also all over the rest of the world. Including your kitchen if you followThe Best Beef Chilli Recipe.
What are some of the top secret ingredients for Beef Chilli?
The top-secret components for beef chili might vary from person to person based on desire, but some of the more common options are as follows:
- The addition of cocoa powder or chocolate that has not been sweetened gives the chili a flavor that is more complex.
- The addition of cinnamon brings a welcoming warmth and a hint of sweetness that acts as a counterpoint to the spiciness of the chili.
- Beer gives the chili a more complex flavor, as well as a richer texture, and some acidity, which helps to maintain a harmonious flavor profile.
- The addition of Worcestershire sauce gives the chili a meaty and umami flavor.
- Masa harina is a sort of maize flour that contributes a delicate corn taste while also helping to make the chili thicker.
- A smokey flavor can be achieved in the chili by using smoked paprika.
- The addition of chipotle chiles that have been marinated in adobo sauce gives the chili a flavor that is smoky, spicy, and just a touch sweet.
In the end, the greatest secret ingredients for beef chili are the ones that you enjoy the most and that complement the other flavors in the dish. You’ll notice there are 2-3 ‘secrets’ in use in our The Best Beef Chilli Recipe.