Deep fried foie gras
Deep fried foie gras
This is is a belter – but only infrequently. This also costs a fortune to make. But boy is it worth it. Deep fried foie gras is just a crazy dish I made up one day. Its unctuous, crunchy, sublime. How can foie gras, that is battered, and deep fried be anything but incredible?
An idea popped in my head one day, when thinking of deep fried Mars Bars that I have eaten in Scotland before. For some reason as I was thinking of deep fried Mars Bars, I thought – “I know I’ll deep fry foie gras…” And hence was borne Deep fried foie gras.
There are two sides to this dish, the small accompanying salad, and the hunk of deep fried goodness.
Step 1 – the salad
- 3 finely sliced shallots;
- 1 bunch of finely sliced Spring onions;
- 3-4 sliced tomatoes;
- 3 finely sliced garlic cloves;
- And a good squirt of Japanese mayonnaise.
In a pan add a little olive oil and bring to a high heat. Fry off the shallots and garlic for 2 minutes and add in the tomatoes and Spring onions. Fry these off for only 2 minutes or so, as you want them to retain their shape and an element of crunch.
Plate this and drizzle a little Japanese mayonnaise over the top as in the picture.
Step 2 – the Foie
- 1 piece of foie gras per person – as much as you can take;
- 1 packet of tempura flour – sprinkle in a little sea salt and cracked black pepper to season it;
- 2 beaten eggs;
- 1 wok filled to about 4 inches with cooking oil for your frying; and
- A slice each of toasted crusty bread.
Pretty simple this;
- Take the foie from the fridge just before you are going to fry it;
- Get two bowls – one for the eggs and one for the flour;
- Take your slab of foie and dip it in the egg mix, making sure it is fully coated;
- Then drop it in the seasoned flour, again making sure it is fully coated;
- Once you have done this with all the pieces get that oil hot hot hot and drop them in one at a time;
- Try not to fuss with them whilst frying as they may break up;
- But you want to make sure they do not stick to each other. Just but be gentle; and
- When golden brown take a slotted spoon and carefully lift them on to a plate with some kitchen towel laid on it. Just to drain off the excess oil.
Place your toast on a plate next to some of the salad, and then lay that Deep fried foie gras on top. Finished!!! Oh yeah baby you are so gonna love this dish. The flavour, the textures, the smells and even the look. It is awesome folks – ENJOY!!!
Is Life a Recipe YouTube Channel