Malacca deep fried bread stuffed with mince beef
I got this recipe idea from a recent trip to Malacca, and then came home to create Malacca deep fried bread stuffed with mince beef. This is a cracking dish. A must when your sitting there with an icy cold beer. Perfect bed-fellows.
It was hot hot hot in Malacca this day, and we needed a refreshment break. We popped in to a watering hole down the back-streets, and I noticed a dish in the menu of fried bread and beef. Interesting I thought, and boy I was not disappointed. It was truly a fantastic little thing, and actually quite easy. I made up my very own version – here is my very own version of Malacca deep fried bread stuffed with mince beef.
This will make a load of little rolls of Malacca deep fried bread stuffed with mince beef.This is beer food, and or finger food on steroids, and there is easily enough here for say 6-8 people.
- 1 pack of minced beef;
- 1 finely chopped red onion;
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped garlic;
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce;
- A good pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper;
- A cup of roughly chopped sweet basil;
- 1 loaf of white bread;
- A good litre of oil for frying;
- Mayonnaise; and
- A fresh lemon, cut in to quarters.
Ready to rock ‘n’ roll? This is so easy. Here cometh Malacca deep fried bread stuffed with mince beef.
- Fry off the garlic and onion in a wok, until browned;
- Throw in the beef mince and cook until browned as well;
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper, and at the last minute the basil;
- Set aside;
- Stack the loaf up and cut off all the crusts leaving just the white bit of the loaf;
- Using a rolling pin, flatten the little square until they are really thin. This won’t take long. This is your wrapping for the mince for frying;
- Spoon some of the mince meat on to the bread piece and then roll as tightly as you can to a sausage like shape;
- Secure the sausage with two cocktail sticks and set aside. Repeat this for the whole loaf of bread. You should end up with 25 or so sausages;
- Heat up your oil to circa 230 degrees and then lay in the sausages and fry until the bread is golden brown;
- Scoop them out with a slotted spoon and set on to some kitchen towel to allow the excess oil to drain.
You are finished. That’s my Malacca deep fried bread stuffed with mince beef.