Seared Steak Sushi with Horseradish
As usual, the ChillaxBBQ crew push the boundaries of BBQ food. We like to shock and surprise with our dishes that are non-conformist to the traditional sausages and burgers. We go hard on the original and unique. This is a great example, but an example that is pretty damned easy to do, and fantastic at a BBQ as it is single-serve finger food. No plastics plates or cutlery needed folks. Just a serving plank and one grazing hand. This is why we created Seared Steak Sushi with Horseradish. This is now featured in our new cookbook – BBQ Recipes In Spoons & On Planks.
This is enough to serve a single platter for 10-15 people easily.
Here we go; Seared Steak Sushi with Horseradish
- 3 cups of Japanese sushi rice
- 3 Tbsp sushi vinegar
- 1 jar of creamed Horseradish
- 1 Kg Sirloin steak
- Olive oil
- Sea salt & cracked black pepper
Like Hansel & Gretel – follow the simple steps;
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker, put in a bowl and whilst still hot add the vinegar and mix is thoroughly
- Lay down some cling film and make rice sausages rolling it tightly in the cling film to keep the shape – set aside to cool and repeat until all the rice is used up
- Slice the steak into very thin slices (all the same size) and pop in a zip-lock bag. Drizzle in some Olive oil and give a good pinch of sea salt & cracked black pepper
- Zip it up and mix it all together so the steak pieces get a good coating of oil and seasoning
- Flash chargrill the steak slices on both sides – literally something like 20 seconds per side to char but not over-cook – you want this medium-rare, then off the coals and set aside
- Unwrap your rice sausages and cut into bite-sized sushi shapes, as in the picture
- Smear some of the Horseradish cream on to the rice, and then lay a slice of the chargrilled steak on top
- Place these neatly on a platter and give a good sprinkle of sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Serve away – some of the best finger food ever is this
Seared Steak Sushi with Horseradish is seriously a cracker. Watch the surprised faces when you serve this up. So different for your next BBQ experience, and come on it is pretty simple right? Beautifully tender steak with a wee kick of Horseradish and then the slightly tangy rice. It is a beauty. Give it a go guys – ENJOY!!!