I know, I know, laksa should not have chicken. Prawns, cockles and all that is so not my bag. So I have reverted to have a couple of prawns, and chicken for the main meat elements. This is my Chicken Laksa Recipe, as an alternative to the rather fishy version you are likely to consume in the hawkers and coffee shops. Have a go at something different.
This will feed about 6 people. Yes there is a slight cheat, but it’s just to create the base.
You will need;
- 1 pack of Laksa paste (this is the cheat);
- 1/2 litre coconut cream;
- A handful or two of crushed salted peanuts;
- 5-6 kaffir limes leaves roughly chopped;
- 6 limes;
- 2 chicken fillets chopped to bite sized pieces;
- 12 prawns (still with head/tail);
- 2 litres of chicken stock;
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce;
- 2 stalks of lemon grass, finely sliced (clean a few outer layers off first;
- 1 packet of washed bean sprouts;
- 1 handful roughly chopped mint;
- 2 chopped chili padi; and
- 1″ knob of chopped yellow ginger or galangal.
- In to a large pot add the Laksa paste and coconut cream on a high heat until it starts to smell nice and fragrant;
- Add the salted peanuts, lime leaves, the juice of 5 of the limes, the chicken, the prawns , the chicken stock, the lemon grass, bean sprouts, yellow ginger, fish sauce and chilies;
- And seriously that is it;
- Just keep an eye on it so as not to over boil and burn the coconut cream;
- When the prawns and chicken are cooked your soup is done and you are ready to serve.
When plating this up, split the prawns and chicken in to equal amounts. Ladle on the broth and sprinkle with the mint, a little finely sliced kaffir lime leaf and a squeeze of the remaining lime juice. That’s it food lovers, get this down your neck. Absolutely delicious. My Chicken Laksa Recipe. It’s bloody good.
If you want to go all authentic-like though go here, to 328 Katong Laksa.
But please please try my version and my Chicken Laksa Recipe. I think it is unique. Never have I seen as a recipe for chicken Laksa. For those not in love with cockles this is your bag. It is seriously bloody good. Packet spice on steroids. Just try, I know you will love it, and if you do try – ENJOY!!!