Amazing Brussels Sprouts
Amazing Brussels Sprouts, is one of my recipes that I adore. I have had many people ask for the recipe too, which is always a good sign, including my mate Ruthers this month. You will love this too if you are a Sprouts fan. It is savoury, spicy, bacony – in fact almost bubble & squeak like. Bring on the heart attack, this is a cracker.
I am going to make a very bold statement here and say that these are way, way better than the Globally know Chef Daniel Boulud (am I being as arrogant as he now?) – check this IsLifeaRecipe blog of his restaurant; HERE.
You will need – to make a huge sharing plate of Amazing Brussels Sprouts;
- 2 Kg washed and cleaned sprouts (easy just buy two bags of pre-cleaned in Cold Storage);
- 5 roughly chopped red onions;
- 3 finely chopped chili padi;
- 2 packs of bacon bits, or lardons;
- 3 tablespoons of finely chopped garlic;
- Goose fat (Or as I did today as twas Christmas, I used the dripping from the turkey roast – thanks Stacy); and
- Sea salt, and cracked black pepper.
Really easy, but do it this way for really really good results. This is the best folks;
- Fill a large pan with water, whack in some salt, all the cleaned sprouts and bring it to a boil;
- Reduce that and let it simmer for 5 minutes or so, you are NOT cooking until mushy. More like blanching;
- Drain them and set aside;
- Take your biggest, heavy fry pan and put in a few good glugs of goose fat, and get on the heat;
- In with the onions, bacon, garlic and chilli and sweat that down – keep moving it round to avoid burning;
- When the bacon starts to brown you are ready to add in 1/3 of your drained sprouts;
- Worth noting here that there will be loads of oil from the goose fat and bacon. That will all be absorbed soon;
- Lower the heat and have those sprouts get really cooked down, and absorb the oils and flavours. Use a masher then the are softened to squish them all up;
- Add in the remaining 2/3 of sprouts and stir through to warm them all up for about 5 minutes;
- Give another good pinch of sea salt, and crack of black pepper to your taste;
- Serve up in a big bowl.
This really is a cracking dish. Everyone seems to love this. This recipe reminds me of home, with Sunday roasts, and breakfast the day after. With the chili padi twist, it also brings us back to where we live now. Amazing Brussels Sprouts really is a cracking recipe. I have tried to wind back to when I first made it – I am not sure on that front. Who cares, here is the recipe for you. I wonder if this could become a ChillaxBBQ addition too, I can’t see why not, I did this today on the BBQ. Have a go folks, I just know you will – ENJOY!!!