This is not Cockney Rhyming Slang – Bubble and Squeak
ChillaxBBQ Stay@Home Recipes #28 – Bubble & Squeak who’d have thought it? I was re-watching some cooking shows on Netflix (Final Table) and the very worlds Bubble & Squeak came out of Gary Lineker’s mouth on that show. We had over-ordered massively yet again from Next Door Spanish Place the night previous so I turned those left-overs into the English favourite – of course with a Spanish twist now haha.
Let’s do a little Daddy-Pedia for those that have never heard of Bubble & Squeak; “A traditional British breakfast dish made from potatoes and cabbage amongst other things. Nowadays it is a dish made with the fried Sunday leftover veg and meat from the roast. You basically chop/mash everything together vegetables, potatoes and cold meats and then shallow-fry in a pan until the mixture is well-cooked and brown on the sides. The dish is so named, you guessed it because the cabbage makes bubbling and squeaking sounds during the cooking process as the water evaporates.”
ChillaxBBQ Stay@Home Recipes #28 – Bubble & SqueakWhat I used – but I’ll say it again, it is about leftovers and using them to the maximum impact the next day – be creative;
- 2x Jamon croquette
- 3x slices Jamon
- 1x egg
- 1x finely chopped shallot or Spring inion
- 4x thinly sliced cherry tomatoes – for garnish
- 1/3 cup finely sliced fresh cabbage
- 1x knob salted butter
- 1Tsp crushed garlic
- 1Tsp Maggi Seasoning – Soya sauce will do
- Olive oil
- Sea salt & cracked black pepper
- Throw the cabbage, butter, garlic and shallot into a frying pan on the heat;
- Fry this off until it softens;
- Add a little glug of Olive Oil and then in with EVERYTHING else;
- Mash this all together and keep it frying;
- You want everything nicely muddled together and a little crisping happening;
- I took all that lovely Bubbly and Squeaky goodness and popped it in one of my stacker rings for the effect below;
- Garnished with the thinly sliced toms on a platter, and I reckon that looks bloody good.
ChillaxBBQ Stay@Home Recipes #28 – Bubble & Squeak received good feedback from Strawberry Blonde ‘the consumer. A great single-person breakfast that you can so easily tailor to whatever you want to include. I’d add some chilli padi perhaps. The world is your… well, Bubble &. Squeak actually. For those that have not heard of it, you have now so no excuse. This is EXTREMELY Bill Wallace Friendly as a recipe as it is getting rid of leftovers. Plus it is bloody tasty and it looks so cute too. No need for stackers folks, you can easily just serve from the pan. Get that nice charred crisp on there though – ENJOY!!!