Sweetcorn, Sesame, Pandan, Coconut, & Butter Dessert
You know I love street food, well I hope you have realised that by now. This idea came from a trip t Philippines where we stood on a rickety rope bridge and consumed – Sweetcorn, Sesame, Pandan, Coconut, & Butter Dessert – come on how good is this going to be.
This turned out to be an absolute cracker. Ideal for a starter or as I have been making it for dessert. It is quite salty, but also sweet – so this is a savoury dessert of Sweetcorn, Sesame, Pandan, Coconut, & Butter Dessert. It is a street food usually served in the morning as breakfast.
You can serve it all fancy, like I have in the little boxes. I got these from TOTT. Or you can serve her up in the middle as a family dish for all to dig in. I did both this day. It was gratefully received and eaten too.
OK ready here we go – keep up and as this is pretty quick, and you can do this in 4 easy steps, that you can easily overlap – here comes Sweetcorn, Sesame, Pandan, Coconut, & Butter Dessert;
- 4 corn on the cobs – skinned and cleaned of the stringy stuff, and cut in to 3 pieces;
- 6 pandan leaves knotted together;
- Good pinch of salt.
- Bring a big pan of salted water to the boil and pop in the corn cobs and the pandan leaves. You want to leave these boiling for about 10 minutes or so so the kernels are cooked but still crunchy;
- Drain them and set aside;
- Lose the pandan leaves and then cut down the cobs to release the sweetcorn kernels. Make sure not to get any of the sweetcorn core as it will be woody – phase I of Sweetcorn, Sesame, Pandan, Coconut, & Butter Dessert is completed.
- 4 tablespoons of white sesame seeds; and
- 4 teaspoons of white sugar.
- Heat a small dry (no oil) pan;
- When hot add in the sesame seeds and keep moving them about until they start to turn golden brown;
- Once they are nicely golden get them out of the pan as that will still be hot and likely to burn the seeds if left inside it;
- Put them in a small bowl and stir in the sugar. Set aside.
- 2 young Thai coconuts (you know the ones from the supermarket with the coconut milk within the shell still. Take out the milk and then with a spoon carefully take out all the white flesh, chop this up into strips; and
- 2-3 good pinches of salt.
- Come on you could do this with your eyes shut, blindfolded, from another room, in another house it is so so simple;
- Mix the chopped coconut with the salt and set aside.
- Knob of butter that you have gently melted.
Finishing off Sweetcorn, Sesame, Pandan, Coconut, & Butter Dessert, goes like this;
- Put the sweetcorn kernels in a biggish bowl. Pour over the melted butter and stir through;
- Add in the sesame and sugar and stir through;
- Add in the coconut and salt and stir through.
Plate it up in any which way you desire, in the bowl to share or individually in some fancy little boxes. The choice is yours. I promise you will love this, you just can’t not love it. Its sweet, salty, savoury. Its an absolute cracker. One not to be missed. This is my Sweetcorn, Sesame, Pandan, Coconut, & Butter Dessert – ENJOY!!!
Is Life a Recipe YouTube Channel