Bacon and Beans
Friends were coming to have some food at the pool – our neighbours The Rutherford’s, Paul and Lennie. I wanted to do some different dishes and this was one of them. My Bacon and Beans.
Lennie is a top cook, so I always have to be top of my game re what I am preparing and cooking when she comes. Today I tried something different, and went more Western. Of course though I had a couple of chili padi in there, and then refer to it as fusion.
You are just going to love this dish. It is full of favours, and this really did ‘turn some heads’. All loved Bacon and Beans, and boy is this ever easy to make.
To make a fairly hefty bowl of Bacon and Beans you will need:
- 3 tins of haricot beans – drain the liquid from one, keep the rest;
- 1 packet of streaky bacon sliced in to small pieces;
- 4 finely sliced large shallots;
- 4 cloves of finely chopped garlic;
- 4-5 sprigs of rosemary – take the leaves off the woody stems and finely chop;
- 2 finely chopped chili padi (more or less is up to you); and
- A good pinch of salt and black pepper.
This really is so flipping easy to make my Bacon and Beans.
- In a large pan fry off the bacon and shallots until the bacon is nice and crispy;
- Empty the beans, juice and all, in to the pan with the bacon, and add the garlic, chili padi and salt and pepper;
- Slow heat this to a boil, and turn off the heat;
- Stir in the chopped rosemary;
- Have a quick taste – you might need a little bit more salt and pepper;
- Stir and serve. Come on, my 6 year old cook cook that.