Blue cheese mushrooms with thyme
It was quite bizarre as our mates the Rutherfords had just got some blue cheese in from Finland, and Steve was talking to Pia about doing mushrooms in blue cheese – hey presto what was I shopping for at that exact time – yep mushrooms and blue cheese – how spooky is that.
Anyways the outcomes is thus, and it goes in to ‘big stuff’ because we had 8 grown adults stood around the pan dipping away, chatting, munching, dipping away etc. ‘big stuff’ it is.
For a great big pan as you can see above;
- 2 packets of fresh thyme – simply strip the little leaves off the woody branches;
- 2 packets of blue cheese – up to you how much you spend here on quality cheese. To be honest mine was cheap;
- 3 good knobs of butter;
- As many different types of mushrooms as you can squeeze in a pan – I used about 6 different varieties. To be honest though even if it were just button mushrooms I reckon you’d be fine too;
- 1 heaped tablespoon of finely chopped garlic;
- Squeeze of a lime; and
- A good glug of olive oil.
Take a breath and hold it – because you won’t need inhale before finishing the next bit.
All the ingredients in a pan, except the cheese and thyme, and get the heat on. Sweat the mushrooms down in the oil and butter – when they start to soften get them off the heat. Likely 2 minutes or so.
Add in the thyme and cheese and stir round until the residual heat has melted the cheese in to a thick silky sauce. Squeeze in the lime, and serve with some little slices of crusty bread – the dippers.
I have to say this was bloody awesome, truly.
Blue cheese mushrooms with thyme – Enjoy!