Beetroot beef curry
Easily enough beetroot beef curry for 4 here folks. You will need;
- 2 packs of minced beef;
- 2 teaspoons of finely chopped garlic;
- 2 small red onions finely chopped;
- 1 cup of French beans (or equivalent – snake beans etc.), that you have trimmed;
- 1 cup beansprouts;
- 1 cup of roughly ripped coriander;
- 1 teaspoon of Turmeric;
- 2 beetroots that I peeled and then cubed;
- 1 litre of coconut cream;
- 2 finely chopped chili padi;
- 3 limes for their juice; and
- A good pinch of salt and pepper.
Seriously this is as simple as simple could be.
- In your wok put the coconut cream and beetroot cubes, garlic, onions, salt, and pepper. Get that to a nice simmer and cook until the beetroot starts to tenderize.
- Add in the beef, the beans, the turmeric, the chili, and the lime juice and continue to cook until the beans are al dente – just with that little snap left to the texture, and of course that the meat is done.
- Off the heat and stir in the coriander, and bean sprouts as the heat will wilt those immediately.
- Serve – maybe with a few quarters of lime for additional sour?
This was absolutely a winner. Have you ever had a pink dish? A first for me and the Kennett family today. The beetroot was such a good idea to use in a curry. It added some sweetness, texture, and clearly colour. Have a go when you’re in a pink mood. My beetroot beef curry – Enjoy!!!
Beetroot Beef Curry
Beetroot beef curry is a flavorful and hearty dish that combines the earthy sweetness of beetroot with tender beef, creating a unique and delicious meal. This dish is a fusion of Indian and international flavors, often featuring aromatic spices like cinnamon, black cardamom, ginger, and garlic. The slow-cooking process allows the flavors to meld, resulting in a rich and satisfying curry.
One popular variation of beetroot beef curry is “Chaukandar Gosht,” a dish where braised beef is simmered with spices and raw beetroot, resulting in a melt-in-your-mouth texture and vibrant colors. Another version includes smoky paella with shrimp and squid, incorporating the beetroot’s distinct taste into a classic Spanish dish.
To prepare this dish, ingredients like raw beetroot, ginger, garlic, and aromatic spices are used to create a flavorful marinade or sauce. The beef is then slow-cooked to perfection, allowing the flavors to develop and the meat to become tender. Beetroot beef curry is often served with rice, naan bread, or other accompaniments, making it a satisfying and nourishing meal.
What is Beetroot?
Beetroot, also known as beets, is a root vegetable that is typically deep red or purple in color. It has a sweet and earthy flavor and is often used in cooking for both its roots and leaves. Beetroot can be enjoyed raw, boiled, roasted, or pickled, and is commonly used in salads, soups, and various dishes for its vibrant color and nutritional value. It’s a good source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, and has been associated with several health benefits, including improved blood pressure and exercise performance.