Meat Smith by Dave Pynt @ Makansutra Gluttons Bay
What a pairing. Amaze-balls just reading this title. The Singaporean legend leading the preservation of Singapore’s StreetFood, Mr KF Seetoh, paired with Michelin Star Chef Dave Pynt. BUT paired in a hawker at Makansutra Gluttons Bay down at Esplanade. Can it be? You bet your arse it can be. Meat Smith by Dave Pynt @ Makansutra Gluttons Bay is that concept which is one of 12 stalls. Chef Pynt has even built a Gaucho Grill in there. This is not your average hawker, but not quite to the scale as his Burnt Ends establishment with his 4-tonne brick ‘kilns’. But still, in a hawker, a Gaucho Grill is bloody impressive.
Away from the Burnt Ends brand, Chef Pynt has now opened 3 restaurant versions of Meat Smith @ the like of Telok Ayer and Little India, and this wee little place @ Makasutra Gluttons Bay. Despite his Michelin * he is plating food here that is of that quality, but absolutely not in that price bracket. This is hawker pricing ladies and gentlemen for Michelin * food, and bloody cheap beers to accompany it from the drinks Uncle. Can it get any better? I’ll challenge you on that.
This is Meat Smith by Dave Pynt @ Makansutra Gluttons Bay.
On this incredible platter, the Special today, we got;
- BBQ chicken chop with salted egg sauce;
- Buffalo pork belly. This had been slow cooked for like ever, charred and then basted in Buffalo wings sauce – holy shit!!!;
- Char Siew Ribs. Off-the-bloody-charts good. Again slow cooked for an age so the meat is super flavoursome and fall off the bone;
- Cheese sausage. This is an underplay statement. We think some sneaky Paprika in there so almost mild Chorizo with the most amazing mustard dipping sauce; and
- Finally, some ingenious pickles that almost act as a palate cleanser.
There you go, folks. My little overview of Meat Smith by Dave Pynt @ Makansutra Gluttons Bay. Chef Pynt and Seetoh you are legends. Both genius concepts living in harmony next to traditional Singaporean hawker fare. Long may this be a success because we’ll be back for sure for more. Well, we do have 9 more stalls to chow down on right? It was an amazing dinner that the whole family loved. My friends reading this if you want to visit an amazing hawker experience look no further than Makansutra Gluttons Bay as it is genius. And whilst there spend less than $50 to feed your entire family on Michelin * food. Where else in the World apart from on Red Dot. #SHIOK. Get your arses down to Esplanade, it opens at 1700 every day, and – ENJOY!!!