Algerian Fish with Pomegranate, Passion Fruit & Cinnamon Sugar reduction
This was one of ChillaxBBQ’s first attempts at a serious seafood dish. Here is our Algerian Fish with Pomegranate, Passion Fruit & Cinnamon Sugar reduction. Zeinna Henni, our new mate, asked ChillaxBBQ to come round and cook for her 40th birthday. Now Zeinna is Algerian, and she asked if we could produce some Algerian dishes. I had a go at creating a new dish using North African spices. Here we go.
Here is the recipe for Algerian Fish with Pomegranate, Passion Fruit & Cinnamon Sugar reduction. You are seriously going to love this recipe. It is incredible. Serious flavours within this dish, that keep on giving and giving. It’s a cracker. I’ll spilt this in to two.
For the fish;
- I used 4 Tilapia. Simply get them scaled and gutted;
- 4 teaspoons of finely chopped garlic;
- 4 teaspoons of pink pepper corns;
- A bunch of fresh coriander;
- A whole jar of;
- Cinnamon sugar; and
- Olive oil;
- 6 or so limes; and
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper.
Here we go;
- Stuff the cavity with a tablespoon of pink peppercorns, some ripped coriander and a teaspoon of finely chopped garlic;
- Score the fish on each side with a sharp knife to allow the marinade to soak in;
- Drizzle both sides with Olive oil;
- Then sprinkle all over, on both sides of each fish, with an even coating of;
- Cinnamon sugar;
- Turmeric; and
- Slice the limes and place them on top and beneath as you can see in the picture below;
- Wrap in foil;
- In the oven now at 180n for 30 minutes;
- Take them out of the oven, put them in a fish griller and black them all over on the BBQ;
- Strip the meat off once it is charred.
For the sauce;
- 2 cups water;
- 3 cinnamon sticks;
- 4 tablespoons of cinnamon sugar;
- 4 passion fruits;
- 1 pomegranate;
- A good pinch of salt & pepper.
Here we go;
- Get the water in a pan, on the heat and bring to the boil;
- Stir in the Cinnamon sugar and stir until it dissolves;
- Add in the;
- Cinnamon sticks;
- Inside fruit of the passion fruit;
- The red pearls of the Pomegranate; and
- A good pinch of sea salt & cracked black pepper;
- Keep this on the heat, and continually stir until it reduces by about 1/3.
- On each spoon please a little dollop of the sauce;
- Lay a piece of fish on top; and
- Get it on a serving platter ASAP and in front of your guests.
We had massively positive feedback regards to this dish. Everyone loved it, which was proven with empty spoons coming back in seconds of the girls going to serve. This is our Algerian Fish with Pomegranate, Passion Fruit & Cinnamon Sugar reduction. It was created especially for our new mate Zeinna. We hope you liked it Zeinna, and Happy Happy Birthday again. And if you try it, I am 100% certain you will also – ENJOY!!!